Are you ready for career in Project Controls or Planning? Find out more…
There’s a good chance that choosing your first job after university might be the biggest and most important choice you’ve had to make so far. To get the best start to your graduate career you need to think about the kind of place you would like to work; this will ideally be one where you will fit in with your colleagues and be able to turn your ambitions into reality. With so many different graduate schemes on offer across a whole range of disciplines, it’s worth sparing some time to think about what will suit you best. Here are some points that we think are worth considering:
- Culture – most of us spend a large part of our lives at work so we think it is incredibly important to spend that time in an environment and with people that share your values and work ethics.
- Work/life balance – this can often be dependent on the nature of the work you want to get into. With some careers longer hours are part of the course (the banking industry springs to mind) but can also come with more financial reward. How important is your leisure time to you?
- Travel – are you excited by the prospect of travel? If so look out for an organisation with a presence and opportunities further afield.
- Progression – you don’t want to be stuck in a dead-end job with no prospects of promotion. Find out how other graduates have moved up within the company and the career ladder.
- Training – to progress in most careers, training is essential. If you’re keen to pick up new skills and professional qualifications whilst working find out what is on offer as part of any grad schemes.
- Company size – “small fish in a big pond or big fish in a small pond…” Would you prefer to be one of 100’s of other graduates at a huge multinational company or one of a few at a progressive, smaller organisation? This is not always an easy question to answer but is worth thinking about. In a bigger company there may be more opportunities to work across different departments but at a smaller company you’ll have a lot more visibility & exposure to working with senior staff which can speed up your development.
We are now accepting applications for our 2017 Graduate Scheme, apply today!